
I came across an article tonight called "The No-Baby Boom," and reading it made me so sad. The article talks about how more couples worldwide are choosing to be childless, often because they think having kids would inconvenience them. It is written by a man who decided, with his wife, not to have children. He talks about how expensive raising kids is. Then he says, "But for the child-free, the benefits go beyond dollars and cents. There's less guilt, less worry, less responsibility, more sleep, more free time, more disposable income, no awkward conversations about Teen Mom, no forced relationships with people just because your kids like their kids, no chauffeuring other people's kids in your minivan to soccer games you find less appealing than televised chess." Like life is all about doing whatever you want whenever you want.
I kept thinking about the things he is missing by choosing this lifestyle. What about the fun you can have with your kids? What about the joy that comes from taking care of them and making them happy? What about knowing that your life has a purpose, that you're doing something good for someone besides yourself? What about the way your capacity to love grows every single day? What about getting the chance to witness the miracle each new person in the world is, getting to share your life, and everything in it, with them? What about learning how good it feels to love someone else more than yourself? Some things you can't fully appreciate until you have experienced them for yourself.
I love my husband and daughter more than I can say. I can't imagine what my life would be like without them. I am so grateful that I have the chance to share my life with them. My life is not always fun, and it's rarely glamorous, but I love it. Having a baby is one of the best, happiest things that I ever decided to do. Elise is a constant joy in our lives.
God has a plan for His children, and families are central to that plan. Why are families so important? It is in our families that we learn how to love, and it is in families where we experience our greatest joys. I am so grateful that families can be eternal. (Learn more about what Mormons believe about families here.)
Made me cry Blair! Love your writing. I am so grateful for our huge family and I am so grateful for my siblings. I am grateful for our selfless parents, too. They could have chosen an easier route I'm sure. Love you!
ReplyDeleteI get so sad when I read things like that as well. The sanctity of the family is under attack from all directions!
ReplyDelete