Sunday, May 22, 2011

Cruisin' and Bruisin'

Elise is now cruising. Her favorite place to practice? Her crib, of course. Naps have turned into nightmares, bedtimes are battles, and all she wants to do stand, stand, stand. We spend way too much of the day trying to get her to sleep. It's just too bad she can't fall asleep standing up.
All this cruising is making me nervous. Elise is totally fearless. Yesterday she completely let go of one side of the crib and made a grab for the adjacent side (I watched her on our video monitor). She's 8 months old, for Pete's sake! Of course, this crazy attempt ended tragically, and Elise now has a pretty little bruise on her cheek. Add that to the not-quite-healed scratch she already has on her forehead, and the poor kid is beginning to look like a victim of child abuse.
Most of the time she will hold onto things with just one hand. She doesn't seem to believe she can fall. Friday she pulled a kitchen chair over on herself. Thankfully she wasn't hurt, just shaken up, but I was even more shaken up.
Any suggestions? How do I get this kid to sleep? More importantly, how do I make sure she sees her first birthday? Any and all advice is appreciated!

4 comments:

  1. All of our children looked like Mike Tyson after a match during the "cruising" stage. Don't seat it too much. Just being on high alert is my only advice. I have heard of parents using the car seat in the crib to get the baby to stay still to sleep, but that seems a little extreme. Baby-proof everything as you discover it, and you could turn the kitchen chairs around backwards to help keep her from tirning thm over. Say a little prayer too. What else can you do, really? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have too much advice-I'm not really that experienced yet! But, I would suggest that you move her crib mattress all the way the lowest setting. This should make it harder for her to stand in her crib and maybe she'll get bored more easily?! The only other advice I have is This Too Shall Pass! Then you'll be on to the next exciting and stressful stage. Little stinkers! :)

    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Blair! haha! I found your blog! You should have told me you had such a sweet blog. Now I can stalk you! :) JK You have such a cute little girl to post about!

    ReplyDelete