Thursday, April 19, 2012

Duct Taped Diapers

It all started Easter weekend when we were staying the night at Holly's house. Elise was in Holly's playpen in the laundry room, which is where she sleeps when we stay there. We had brought her mattress topper to make her more comfortable, but she still wasn't sleeping great since she wasn't used to sleeping there anymore.

At about 4:30 in the morning, I woke up to use the bathroom. Elise must have already been awake in there and heard me because she started babbling. I got her up, changed her diaper, nursed her, and put her back to bed. Then I went back to sleep.

At 8:00 the next morning, I woke up and found that Matt was already up enjoying pancakes with everyone else. Elise was the only one still sleeping, even though it was noisy with all the kids, and she slept until 8:30. She must have been tired from playing all night. As I mentioned in this post, she woke up naked from the waist down and in a puddle of pee. So sometime between 4:30am and 8:30am, she had stripped off her pants and diaper and had peed on herself.

It was quite the mess. The sheet, mattress topper cover, mattress topper foam pads (which are amazingly absorbent, by the way), and the playpen bottom all had to get washed, along with Elise's pajamas, blanket, and baby doll.


This was not the end of Elise's nighttime charades. Once she peed so much that I had to scrub the carpet. Another time I found her, at about 6:30am, completely naked and asleep in a puddle of her own pee. That time I had to wake her up so I could give her a bath, and she was cranky all day. Once she got out zippered pajamas, another time out of snap-up ones. I tried putting her diaper on backwards, but she peed through it since it wasn't meant to be worn that way, and I ended up with a pee mess anyway. I was beginning to get really frustrated with the whole situation.

Then we finally started duct taping Elise's diaper on, and we haven't had any problems since. This morning I found Elise with her pants off and her onesie unsnapped, but her diaper was completely intact. I am so, so happy.





Let's just hope she doesn't figure out how to get the tape off. Hopefully it will at least deter her until she gets out of this phase. In the meantime, we have a nice big roll of duct tape to keep those diapers from coming off.

No comments:

Post a Comment